I am home earlier than intended. A blizzard was predicted (and it appeared, right on schedule) for parts of eastern SD and all across southern Minnesota for today, the main travel day for most of us. Reliable weather watchers recommended an early departure, so I changed my ticket to an early flight yesterday, and my brother and his wife prudently left in the early afternoon. Liz and John are hunkered down at the homestead, fluffing the house for sale, making tea and packing boxes. The 15 yard dumpster is full so I am told.
Before we hit the weather wall in Minnesota earlier this week on the trip out, we stopped for gas and to “stretch our legs” at the Quik-Trip in Sparta. There are a number of free associative moments that I need to just get down here:
- The music playing at the Quik-Trip was the Beatles singing “Baby, You Can Drive My Car.” So appropriate.
- In the women’s bathroom there is a sharps disposal container. Lots of diabetics with disposable needles? Do women routinely shave there and cut themselves? IV drug users? Methadone? The mind boggles at the possibilities.
- The sale flier was posted behind Plexiglas. Faygo soda was on sale. So ironic hipsters in WI can stock up.
- Our friends the Sturdy Beggars – originators of the world famous Mud Show™ – use the ancient city of Sparta as an integral part of their show. I can not stop in Sparta without chanting at least once, “Sparta, Sparta, we make the earth shake. Wooo!”
- They had for sale something called Bacon Puffs.
My sister and I spent quite a while imagining the marketing meeting that turned Pork Rinds into Bacon Puffs. For that is what Bacon Puffs are. Pork Rinds.
So, thinking about pork, what are good things about pork? Oh, yes, bacon, everyone loves bacon, it’s a gateway meat. So with bacon, bacon rinds? No, that sounds tough and not healthy. What kinds of foods are tasty and healthy and light? Was that puffs? Oh, so bacon puffs. Yes, that’s great.
We laughed until we hit the fog. Ah, marketing. Ah, Sparta. Home of the Deke Slayton Memorial Space & Bicycle Museum. Home of the Elroy/Sparta Bike trail. I’ll always have a soft spot in my heart for the Quik-Trip. Beep beep’m, beep beep, yeah…
Image: Gas Station by taberandrew